Friday, October 2, 2009

Thoughts on "(500) Days of Summer" and "Jennifer's Body"

I know I said I was going to do a series of blogs relating to the works of Kevin Smith next, but I think I'll work on those later, because I want to re-watch the films, and I haven't done that yet.

I will, however, talk about my feelings on two pictures that I've recently seen: Marc Webb's "(500) Days of Summer" and Karyn Kusama's "Jennifer's Body." The former I saw yesterday, and the latter I saw a few weeks ago on Kelly's birthday, but I have forgotten to write about it.

As most film goers, when it comes to a certain subject matter, I would begin to expect what's to come, and not feel really invested in the story as a result. This is what can be referred to as autopilot storytelling.

"Summer" definitely does NOT follow into that stigma. In fact, not only does it play with conventions, it spins them around silly. It's amazing that a film so laugh out loud funny, can be so damn tender real. That takes real talent; Not blowing up major buildings, or putting a billion fucks in your movie. It's balancing that right tone so you could enjoy a film with multiple levels, ideas.

Some have already placed the "romantic comedy" term unto "Summer", and while, sure, it's an easy and inevitable stereotype, and it brings the funny in spades, it does not bring to justice how inventive, and ingenious the film is. It does not show you how heartbreakingly painful this film can and should be for you. If you ever even remotely LIKED someone, you will relate to this film. If you don't, then I guess you suffer from many emotional problems or were against the film initially.

Now "Jennifer's Body" is a different story. While fun, exciting, scary, and witty, it's hardly a surprise-fest. Not to say it's unoriginal, but clearly screenwriter Diablo Cody knows there's certain beats in a horror film, which if weren't available, would make it a lesser experience. But she does bring her charm, and sharply realized characters, which makes it much more interesting.

She created an excellent antagonist who is terrifying yet a developed character at the same time. And Kusama picked the perfect person to portray that character, Megan Fox. She has gotten mainly negative comments about her acting skills, but I thought she was tremendously good, and capable of headlining a film.

It's easy to kick this film down like the majority of critics, but I really enjoyed this film. It's a horror/comedy in the traditon of An American Werewolf in London, Evil Dead II, or Fright Night. I'll happily excuse myself from the critics, and park myself in the J-Bod fan club.

AJP.

No comments:

Post a Comment