Monday, August 24, 2009

Films I need to see in 2010

For this blog, I will be discussing the films I'm looking forward to next year. I thought about doing it numerically, but felt that it was better to throw them out randomly. So here we go:

Inception

Release Date: July 16, 2010

Director/Screenwriter: Christopher Nolan

Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Joseph-Gordon Levitt

Why I want to see this: Nolan is one of my favorite filmmakers. Even excluding his Batman films, I love Following, Memento, The Prestige. He is one of the bravest filmmakers today, in terms of his approach to filmmaking, and his storytelling sensibilities. Plus, the cast he has built is fantastic. If I didn't know Nolan was involved, I would probably want to see it anyway just based on the cast. There hasn't been any details relating to the plot, but I'm not worried.


A Couple of Dicks

Release Date: February 26, 2010

Director: Kevin Smith

Cast: Bruce Willis, Tracy Morgan, Adam Brody, Kevin Pollak, Jason Lee

Why I want to see this: Anyone who knows me is aware that I'm a big fan of Kevin Smith. But this is Kevin Smith doing something different. He's directing a script that he did not write, working with a major studio, and directing Bruce Willis. Those three things get me more excited than anything else. Unfortunately, the great title will probably be changed, but a title does not make a great movie. The execution does, and Smith is more than capable in that regard.

Iron Man 2

Release Date: May 7, 2010

Director: Jon Favreau

Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Mickey Rourke, Scarlett Johannson, Samuel L. Jackson

Why I do want see this: I was never a fan of the character in the comic books, but when I saw the first Iron Man a year ago, I was utterly captivated by RDJ's idiosyncratic performance, and the great storytelling. Considering basically the same cast and crew are involved, I'm so in for seconds. Plus, the additions of Cheadle, Johannson, and Rourke sound like great fits to the Iron Man universe.

Paul

Release Date: TBA 2010

Director: Greg Mottola

Cast: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Seth Rogen, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader

Why I want to see this: I'm a huge Pegg/Frost follower, from Spaced to Hot Fuzz. And while Edgar Wright won't be directing, I'm more than content with Mottola, the helmer of Superbad and Adventureland. Add in an excellent comedy cast, and you have the ingredients for a great film.


Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Director: Edgar Wright

Cast: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Chris Evans, Kieren Culkin, Alison Pill, Ellen Wong

Why I want to see this: Edgar Wright first came to my attention when his first film, Shaun of the Dead, was mentioned by Kevin Smith in a posting on his web board. I quickly rented it, and utterly floored by the exciting direction and hilarious script. His second film, Hot Fuzz, was an even more entertaining film, and he took some serious steps forward with his filmmaking skills. His latest film is his first non-original work, being based on a series of graphic novels by Bryan O'Lee Malley. I have never read the graphic novels, but I'm excited regardless. Wright has picked an interesting cast as well, which makes me doubly excited.


Toy Story 3

Release Date: June 18, 2010

Director: Lee Unkrich

Cast: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, John Ratzenberger, Don Rickles, Wallace Shawn, Michael Keaton

Why I want to see this: Pixar's canon of work is beyond impressive. Even excluding the previous Toy Story films, you have Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Wall-E, Ratatouille, and Up. I can't recall a film studio that has so many winners as Pixar. Lee Unkrich has been working up the ranks of the Pixar staff for years, co-directing Toy Story 2 and Finding Nemo. This film is his first solo directorial effort, and I couldn't imagine a better person to take over the reins from John Lasseter. The same, great cast is returning, with some new additions such as Michael Keaton and Ned Beatty.


The Green Hornet

Release Date: July 9, 2010

Director: Michel Gondry

Cast: Seth Rogen, Jay Chou, Cameron Diaz, Nicolas Cage

Why I want to see this: I first became aware of the project when Kevin Smith was attached to write and direct. When he dropped out, Seth Rogen became attached to star and write the screenplay with Evan Goldberg. I thought he was an interesting choice for a superhero, and a good choice for writing the screenplay, due to his great work as a writer. Stephen Chow became involved as a director and co-star, which got me pumped up based on my love for "Kung Fu Hustle." Unfortuantely, he dropped out, and I was a little worried on who will take up the mantle, especially since Chow seemed like a great choice. There came in Gondry, who directed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and is one of my favorite filmmakers of all time. While he hasn't directed a proper action film, Gondry has a distinct visual style that would be a nice mix with action film grammar.


And that's the films I need to see in 2010.

1 comment: